Sunday, September 28, 2014

/They Say I Say "And Yet" Chapter 5 09/28/14

Summery: In chapter 5 of They Say I Say, it gets into the "I say" part of writing. The title of chapter 5 is "AND YET" as a way to distinguish what you say from what they say. For instance, there is an example of an essay in this chapter, written by Gregory Mantsios, that uses "voice markers" along with the word "yet" to distinguish the writers point of view from the point of view he is arguing against. In Mantsios's first paragraph, he uses the quote (or voice marker) "We are all middle-class," to show an argument that has been made. Then he starts off his second paragraph with "Yet class divisions are real" to distinguish his point of veiw from the argument that was being made. The chapter goes further in saying we can use "I" in our essay to help differentiate our views from others.

Response: This chapter helped me a little more with understing how to distingish arguments with reading them and writing them. I know now to pay attention to "voice markers" like quotes and prases that set apart arguements from others. The example of the essay with voice markers and the one with out, helped me really see how important it is to use quotes and transitional words like "yet" to dinstinguish arguments. It used to be hard to stay focused and distinguish what some writers were trying to argue, but now I feel more confident in discoverying arguments in material I read in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you that They Say/I Say helps a lot in different ways. Especially, distinguishing arguments and to make them more clear. This chapter helped me out a lot too!

    ReplyDelete