Sunday, November 16, 2014

Proposal for expanstion essay 11/16/14

For my expansions essay, I have chosen my mini essay that focuses on the article, “What We Are to Advertisers” by James B. Twitchell. I have only touched on a three out of the eight categories which Twitchell discusses in his article. I want to turn my focus more on four categories: strivers, achievers, makers, and strugglers. I will modify my argument in saying that advertisers mainly focus on these four categories when selling their product. I will use Jack Solomon’s argument in his article, “Masters of Desire: The Culture of American Advertisers” that the American dream is to be an elitist, and a majority of TV advertisers feed off of this idea. I will be including a Buik commercial to show how two categories (strivers & achievers) relate with one another while supporting my argument. I will use the following key terms and phrases to guide my research: ads towards handymen, bargaining & deals, American dream through ads, how advertisers sell, advertisers appealing to today’s society, and advertisers techniques to sell & middle class.


2 comments:

  1. Using Jack Solomon's article and using a commercial to compare those two categories is a great way to expand your essay, but you should try adding another commercial to solidify your claim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good start and great feedback from Chris. The reason it is important to use a source like Solomon's is that Twitchell's essay does not address how advertisers target these categories; his article only defines the categories. By finding other sources on marketing and advertising, you will be able to do a full analysis. I agree with Chris that you will probably want to use multiple ads in your paper.

    ReplyDelete